What is lag?

52 replies [Last post]
[MR.]GibletGrinder
z-monster's picture
It's been 8 months since I played online. In that long time away it's nice to get back online and play. One thing that makes me laugh the most are those who constantly complain about game lag. It never fails, instead of stopping to analyze the situation they'd rather blame the server & then leave with lame comments. :roll:

So what is lag?

In-Game Lag is caused by hardware related video problems. (Simple to fix.)

Online Lag is slow or sporadic internet connection speed which is cause by slow data transfer rates between you and the game server.

In this small tutorial, we will talk about on-line lag. The most common complaint from on-line gamers is that they experience too high a latency or ping time.

So what is ping?

A Ping of 1000 = 1 full second
Ping of 500 = 1/2 second or .5 of a second
Ping of 250 = 1/4 second or .250 of a second
Ping of 125 = 1/8 second or .125 of a second
and so on...

There are several causes of high ping times. The game's network traffic is exceeding the modem's rate cap, and the modem itself is therefore causing network packets to be delayed or lost; the game's network traffic is exceeding the game server's per-client rate cap.

You must keep in mind that you're not the only computer fighting for information on a server. Winking

What type of connection does the server have? What type of connection do you have?

Where are YOU located and where is the SERVER? If you are located in Europe and the server you are connected to is in Austraila, you can expect your ping to shoot sky high :!: :-({|=

A ping of 250 might seem rather high but is playable and 400 is no doubt horrible. If you are relativley close to the server you are connected to and have pings this high you need to seriously consider getting a new modem or call your ISP and hammer them with a big "WTF?". However considering all the crap that computers come bundled with, it would be a sure bet to make sure that you are not downloading music or movies and that you close any messenger programs.

I hope that with this basic information you should be able to understand why lag happens. I could have added more information to this post but that is what Google© is for. Don't forget to look up websites offering a few tweaks for Quake3 aswell.

So all you damn :pukeright: n00bies :pukeleft: need to stop bashing the servers!

:thumbleft:

"Samo sloga Srbina spasava"

1337W4R3Z )NWC(
1337w4r3z's picture

Yeah they blame servers and PB all the time, good post mate.

DARK
DARKLORD's picture

BUT gibs honey, that little time makes hell of a diff, and if your on a server and instead of the usual 50 ping for example, you get from 60 up to 150, its obvious its the servers connection, obviously not the server itself most of the time. then you get spikes and it starts to be nasty, so lag can be a bitch, depends on the type.

if i go to gibs frozen now, i will get 150 ping, means i'll play normal and pretty well, then on mr freeze usually 49 ping so i will obviously play better, but only a little better.

now lets say on gibs i have a 150 ping, then on mr freeze i have a 150 ping im certainly going to play better on gibs, because the connection is more stable Happy

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

[MR.]GibletGrinder
z-monster's picture

Hey...I'm just keeping this simple. :thumbleft:

DARK wrote:

gibs honey

:scratch:

"Samo sloga Srbina spasava"

|_EM*TAKER

Big grin

ghost wrote:

comunity are the ppl game is an game u can do every u want to game*, if it will be BIG RED smile on game box and u get pised of that game, throw box of that game on the flor in kitchen and make on it BIG BAD smelly shit, this smile will be still on the box kep smiling to u, but when yors parents will back form great vacations to home with smiles on faces and they will see what hapened thier faces become only RED withnout eny smile.....

DARK
DARKLORD's picture

nice sig gibs darling

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

ghost

pb do make lags, huge when he scan a client and lite to kep watching client it is aceptable but pb do make lags

@gib u saying its is players problem and thier fool, well the server conetion to the internet is more important that the players connection couse server with 12 slots rate 25000 and sv_fps 20-40 taking around 60-120KB/s of upstream badwitch,.. and the client in the same time uing his 5-10KB/s of upstream badwitch

also if the server PC its a cheap PC it make latency higer iven lags sometimes

memy ppl do think that server badwitch can be taken i 100% and that is not true, around 80% of usage the server will be make lags

if server also runing mail http ftp server this will make lags also, if some players will ping server his bdadwitch will reduced also, and all gamesrching programs do ping servers......

client packets must travle internet thoud hops/routers in net, funcionality and badwitch taken of these hops it taking somtimes huge deference in ping or packet lost, everybody can do tracert to a server to watch on what hop they lose mutch of time

we do use few defenition of a lag but only one in mine eyes is corect

lag is when packed send or resived were skiped couse was not send or recive on time, game its look jerky enemies jumping on server for ya like on electric chear and the same u do for them look like, it is barely unplayable for both sides, and couse unlagged technology and dls standard where upstream have lower badwitch somtimes for a laging guy its give adventage couse he is seeing u prety well and he for u is a wanishing poit, it is not easy for lagging gut with upstream problem to rail somebody but to guy who try to aim laging guy is very hard to do that

high latency coused of long distance packet travel, in mine eyes is not a lag but can make it laggy when not all packet will be delivred on time
it is playable on high latency but some isures going there also, if yor oponet have lover ping than u and u both shoth in the same time the server will do think that oponent with lover ping was shot faster than u, sometimes it hapens to me that im shot a guy im turning around and then im realized im dead, iven sometimes i see on freze frozen by me enemies but short time layter i am frozen not the enemy

btw sry im not used colored fonts

nw

i would to be noob always and do not read this topic )

David Byrne wrote:

the wind in my heart
the dust in my head..

EVOL.qXy
QXY's picture
ghost wrote:

sometimes it hapens to me that im shot a guy im turning around and then im realized im dead, iven sometimes i see on freze frozen by me enemies but short time layter i am frozen not the enemy

Idea Maybe there is a trouble with your *predict* settings?!

But I have same "problems" I get fragged (frozen), and 1 sec later Im alive again, as though I didnt die.

Btw. skilled players can use lag to frag easily, except the opponent has high lag...

mow Q [EN]

than u was fragged between a door, and when the door is closing, u are unfrozen Winking

RANDIE.ST
unruly.st1's picture

My best ping on servers is ~120 but Im happy to be an e+!er, we have cool unlagged servers + a damn lethal railgun!

I preapared to write a long post but it seems almost all theorotical details are given. Yes lag is not all about ping, they have a correlation which I will expain below.

I ll try to list some practical conclusions:

· With high pings you mite start to lag depending on your game style. I mean switching. If you switch too hard, maybe switch 5 weapons in a second, your upstream is getting much bigger then -the best case here is camping&railing only ;p. Those all packets cant be delivered with 100% failure-free considering the distance. After CRC check fails, your PC is asked to drive packets to the way(not sure). You see this as lag in your lagometer.

So? Dont switch too much if your packets are travelling on off quality hops. (read above about this) Personally, my trace to Euro servers are disappointing that is the hops/routing/materials etc.. through some certain servers are sucky:/ Sometimes my packets travel all over Europe rofl. which is due to all damn ISP.
Whileas I can play smoother on some US servers, less hops but more latency of course.

· Your guna loose matches in duel with high ping; your enemy's packets are much quicker than yours, thats why. Every milisecond is essential there esp when you play vs guys with nice reflexes.
The most proper game type would be FFA with lotta peeps.

· You can try to work on some tweaks, but those are not major factors as others. I mean its more handy for LPBs not for us. Some indispendible setttings like packetdub, rate, snaps are already known I suppose.

· You should not be surpised if beaten by someone with 300+ ping[BRO cfg of course]. I felt quite fine even with 600 ping on an Aussie server. Which was not lagging, needless to add.