Puritans and American Politic

3 replies [Last post]
*ZMB*INSANEKID*
InsaneKid's picture
I know i could have ask u earlier!
I need a bit help now! Winking

I got to write an essay about Puritanism (history, thats done)...
AND current American Politic (thats what i need).

- Do u know american Politicians and which religion they live?
- Are there puritan/religious aspects on current politic?

Would be kewl if u got some suggestions!
THANKs everyone! Cool

.aNk/xXxp4l/:bR.Shady'XYN!
ShadyAK's picture

Mitt Romney, Governor of Massachussetts, and Republican's 3rd strongest Presidential Candidate 2008 (now retired from presidential race due to lack of delegate votes) is a Mormon.

As far as American politics go, not many preisdents developed any strong puritan views, due to hardcore views being seen harmful by the masses. But the majority of Governors/ (if not pretty much every politician) in the US has some sort of religious alignment (i.e. "Jeebus loves all his children" and all that bollocks), due to the american Joe public being a bit " Drooling " , and as to European or World democracy, where economic factors are most important (either that or being the Chosen One - examples show the UK and Russia Tongue), in america, religious alignment is the 2nd most important election requirement, after ripping off your shirt and revealing a Stars And Stripes vest and beating your chest while reciting patriotic slogans.

Going back on topic... there's a wikipedia topic on religion and politics... didnt actually read it, but it says america is mentioned Tongue http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_religion

As far as actual Puritan Democratic rule goes, the only thing i can think of is Oliver Cromwell, ruler of Britain in the 17th century who managed to get most of the army on his side and start a revolution. He was a democratic ruler of britain (although his son took rule from him, and Charles 2, the son of the king oliver overthrew after him, so it was fuckin pointless, but meh)... and thats the only TRUE puritan ruler i can think. He was a politician.

AND

parts of the usa were actually British Colonies in from early 16xx's, and as far as i remember, Cromwell was late 1670's... so i found you one! Tongue
im sure wikipedia has an article bout hiim too
*edit* it does - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Cromwell

you owe me a map Tongue

[+]

(*WASP*SH▲DOWKNIGHT) wrote:
nonsense repellent declamatory

*ZMB*INSANEKID*
InsaneKid's picture

THANK YOU, Shady! Big grin

I actually think about a map-example just ONLY for e+
gotta experiment a little! Winking

Are there any Americans here
that know some things about Politicians too?
About the PILGRAMS
and what happened to their ideas... ?
Can u still feel/see/find the (religious) puritan spitit (where)?

*ZMB*INSANEKID*
InsaneKid's picture

well, its DONE! Tongue
I finished it today!

Im gonna celebrate a bit tonite! Big grin
Here are 2 songs by the crazy "Pizzicato Five"...
>>>
http://files.filefront.com/Pizzicato+Five+Ian+Poolemp3/;10016881;/fileinfo.html

And here´s the "Resumé" of my essay (in german)!
Arrow

6. Resümé

Auf die Bibel wird in Amerika viel und oft geschworen, aber als ein islamischer Abgeordneter hierzu den Koran verwendete, war dies öffentlich sehr umstritten, und das stellt die völlige Neutralität des Staates gegenüber Religionen in Frage. [14]
Auch das hat die Reformation gebracht, und die Entwicklung und Abspaltung neuer Religionsgemeinschaften: Zwar wurden Kirche und Staat institutionell voneinander getrennt, doch wurden und werden Politik und Religion mehr und mehr miteinander vermengt.
(Damals in England und heute sowohl im Mittleren Osten, als auch und vor allem in Amerika.) Dabei ist eine Art "zivile Religion" entstanden, eine Sakralisierung der Politik und ihrer Symbole, eine Verbindung religionsähnlicher Elemente; nicht zu verwechseln mit der Theokratie, in der sich die politische Führung auf eine göttliche Legitimation beruft. [15]

Aber wie in einem Hollywood-Film möchte Amerika (als erwählte Nation) vor den Augen der Welt heldengleich und tugendhaft als Ordnungshüter und Garant für Moral und Sicherheit gesehen werden; wie derzeit im Irak-Krieg. Doch der eigentliche Grund, warum die Truppen nicht zurückziehen, scheint der zu sein, daß man sich die letzten Erdölreserven des Mittleren Ostens sichern will. Der amerik. Journalist Richard Heinberg bezeichnet diese wirtschaftliche Abhängigkeit als die "Achilles-Verse Amerikas".

Peter Sloterdijk bezeichnet Amerika sogar als ein "Reserve-Universum, in dem das Experiment Gottes mit der Menschheit noch einmal gestartet werden kann".
Da Europa seit tausend Jahren bereits einen Gott hat, "bietet Amerika die erregende Kontrasterfahrung eines gleichsam herrenlosen Landes", das erobert werden will ("Landnahme").
Dabei haben sich die Siedler das Land eher mit kriminellen Vorsätzen angeeignet und ihr Gewissen damit beruhigt, "sich auf das Recht des ausgezeichneten Augenblicks" zu berufen, bei dem "die Gerechtigkeit in der Besitzergreifung selbst liegen" muß.
Melville: "... oft ist auch Besitz das ganze Recht." (gegen Feudalismus und Monarchie).

"Es scheint Zeiten zu geben", so Sloterdijk, "in denen das Handeln schneller sein muß als die Gesetzgebung ... Was in regulären Zeiten Plünderer waren, sind in der historischen Lücke Pioniere".